Options for PSCS 5 to CS 6

Forums: 
If this has been addressed a billion times, would someone point me to the links as I can't find any info here. I am not a pro but use and love CS5 for editing my images which are mostly printed on Epson Premium Glossy or Matte paper on my R1800. I thought I could wait a year before going to the next level of PSCS 7 when it comes out, as I've been skipping generations. I went from Elements to CS >CS3 > CS5, and am happy with what I have. I'm on a Mac, using OS 10.6.8. It was just pointed out to me that I must upgrade to CS6 before Jan. 1 to be eligible for CS7 at an upgrade price. I am totally confused about the options, as I'm not a pro, and am not interested in the $29.95 per month ($360 a year) for something I use casually. I also don't understand that I can't just get an upgrade to CS6 without a bunch of other "stuff" I don't want or need. Can someone clarify the best way to do this at a reasonable price. carolyn

c.hammett wrote: If this has been addressed a billion times, would someone point me to the links as I can't find any info here. I am not a pro but use and love CS5 for editing my images which are mostly printed on Epson Premium Glossy or Matte paper on my R1800. I thought I could wait a year before going to the next level of PSCS 7 when it comes out, as I've been skipping generations. I went from Elements to CS >CS3 > CS5, and am happy with what I have. I'm on a Mac, using OS 10.6.8. It was just pointed out to me that I must upgrade to CS6 before Jan. 1 to be eligible for CS7 at an upgrade price. I am totally confused about the options, as I'm not a pro, and am not interested in the $29.95 per month ($360 a year) for something I use casually. I also don't understand that I can't just get an upgrade to CS6 without a bunch of other "stuff" I don't want or need. Can someone clarify the best way to do this at a reasonable price. carolyn
Oops... I just realized that this probably belongs on the Retouching forum. Sorry, but I will leave it here just in case someone has a better answer than one I just got from a friend locally, and that is that I must upgrade to the $199 CS6 or lose the option to upgrade later. Thanks for your patience ! carolyn

You can get that upgrade from CS5 to CS6 for less than $199 if you wait until it goes on sale again. I got mine for around $160 last month. Unfortunately, I don't believe that Adobe is going to allow an upgrade from CS5 to CS7 (whenever CS7 is developed). They only reluctantly allowed older PS upgrades to CS6 this last time around, at first trying to limit it to CS5 to CS6. Next time I think they'll only permit CS6 to CS7 upgrades - being the greed-driven soles that they are. I don't think I would have bothered to do the upgrade except for the reason stated above and the sale price I got it for. I didn't think it would be worth it otherwise. I was pleasantly surprised with CS6. The program is much faster and there are plenty of improvements so I'm glad I did the upgrade. And, I now think it is worth doing - even at $199.

soloryb wrote: You can get that upgrade from CS5 to CS6 for less than $199 if you wait until it goes on sale again. I got mine for around $160 last month Unfortunately, I don't believe that Adobe is going to allow an upgrade from CS5 to CS7 (whenever CS7 is developed). They only reluctantly allowed older PS upgrades to CS6 this last time around, at first trying to limit it to CS5 to CS6. Next time I think they'll only permit CS6 to CS7 upgrades - being the greed-driven soles that they are.
I was puzzled by the heading on this website, but then read the fine print in the paragraph below and it seems to confirm what you said. http://laurashoe.com/2012/12/12/photoshop-cs3-and-cs4-users-dont-forget-to-upgrade-to-cs6-by-december-31/ It is a little confusing though.
I don't think I would have bothered to do the upgrade except for the reason stated above and the sale price I got it for. I didn't think it would be worth it otherwise. I was pleasantly surprised with CS6. The program is much faster and there are plenty of improvements so I'm glad I did the upgrade. And, I now think it is worth doing - even at $199.
Since I'm getting to the party late, I will try to do this right after Christmas. I want to confirm that I can download then and actually install it when I upgrade to M/Lion in January when I have more time. Do you have any info regarding that possiblilty ?? I hate to install it on OS 10.6.8 Thanks a bunch for your help ! carolyn

c.hammett wrote:
soloryb wrote: You can get that upgrade from CS5 to CS6 for less than $199 if you wait until it goes on sale again. I got mine for around $160 last month Unfortunately, I don't believe that Adobe is going to allow an upgrade from CS5 to CS7 (whenever CS7 is developed). They only reluctantly allowed older PS upgrades to CS6 this last time around, at first trying to limit it to CS5 to CS6. Next time I think they'll only permit CS6 to CS7 upgrades - being the greed-driven soles that they are.
Ummm... it is called free enterprise, and has the advantage of delivering computers, electricity, and even highly sophisticated photo editing software to billions of people, who let's face it, would be feeding the lions without the miniscule minority of brilliant people who do the real thinking. Which is immensely resented by the non-thinkers, even as they quite happily make multimillionaires of singers, actors and football players.
Since I'm getting to the party late, I will try to do this right after Christmas. I want to confirm that I can download then and actually install it when I upgrade to M/Lion in January when I have more time. Do you have any info regarding that possiblilty ?? I hate to install it on OS 10.6.8
That isn't how Adobe works. You are allowed two simultaneous installations, and can uninstall either at any time, to allow you to re-install on a new computer or new operating system. I would get the DVDs instead of the download, but maybe that is just me...

ProtoPhoto wrote:
c.hammett wrote:
soloryb wrote: You can get that upgrade from CS5 to CS6 for less than $199 if you wait until it goes on sale again. I got mine for around $160 last month Unfortunately, I don't believe that Adobe is going to allow an upgrade from CS5 to CS7 (whenever CS7 is developed). They only reluctantly allowed older PS upgrades to CS6 this last time around, at first trying to limit it to CS5 to CS6. Next time I think they'll only permit CS6 to CS7 upgrades - being the greed-driven soles that they are.
Ummm... it is called free enterprise, and has the advantage of delivering computers, electricity, and even highly sophisticated photo editing software to billions of people, who let's face it, would be feeding the lions without the miniscule minority of brilliant people who do the real thinking. Which is immensely resented by the non-thinkers, even as they quite happily make multimillionaires of singers, actors and football players.
Since I'm getting to the party late, I will try to do this right after Christmas. I want to confirm that I can download then and actually install it when I upgrade to M/Lion in January when I have more time. Do you have any info regarding that possiblilty ?? I hate to install it on OS 10.6.8
That isn't how Adobe works. You are allowed two simultaneous installations, and can uninstall either at any time, to allow you to re-install on a new computer or new operating system. I would get the DVDs instead of the download, but maybe that is just me...
I totally agree about having the DVD or whatever disc, as opposed to the download. I want something I can hold in my hand in case everything goes down. I lost three years of stuff on an external drive on Time Machine a couple of years ago... fortunately nothing critical and most backed up another way. Disc in hand is better for me too. carolyn

c.hammett wrote:
ProtoPhoto wrote:
c.hammett wrote:
soloryb wrote: You can get that upgrade from CS5 to CS6 for less than $199 if you wait until it goes on sale again. I got mine for around $160 last month Unfortunately, I don't believe that Adobe is going to allow an upgrade from CS5 to CS7 (whenever CS7 is developed). They only reluctantly allowed older PS upgrades to CS6 this last time around, at first trying to limit it to CS5 to CS6. Next time I think they'll only permit CS6 to CS7 upgrades - being the greed-driven soles that they are.
Ummm... it is called free enterprise, and has the advantage of delivering computers, electricity, and even highly sophisticated photo editing software to billions of people, who let's face it, would be feeding the lions without the miniscule minority of brilliant people who do the real thinking. Which is immensely resented by the non-thinkers, even as they quite happily make multimillionaires of singers, actors and football players.
Since I'm getting to the party late, I will try to do this right after Christmas. I want to confirm that I can download then and actually install it when I upgrade to M/Lion in January when I have more time. Do you have any info regarding that possiblilty ?? I hate to install it on OS 10.6.8
That isn't how Adobe works. You are allowed two simultaneous installations, and can uninstall either at any time, to allow you to re-install on a new computer or new operating system. I would get the DVDs instead of the download, but maybe that is just me...
I totally agree about having the DVD or whatever disc, as opposed to the download. I want something I can hold in my hand in case everything goes down. I lost three years of stuff on an external drive on Time Machine a couple of years ago... fortunately nothing critical and most backed up another way. Disc in hand is better for me too. carolyn
Carolyn Happy Holiday Season to You. I suggest almost immediately upon receipt to make a Backup copy of the disk. I usually make two -- one for in Home and one for Off Site (in Bank Lock Box).

Vernon D Rainwater wrote:
c.hammett wrote:
ProtoPhoto wrote:
c.hammett wrote:
Since I'm getting to the party late, I will try to do this right after Christmas. I want to confirm that I can download then and actually install it when I upgrade to M/Lion in January when I have more time. Do you have any info regarding that possiblilty ?? I hate to install it on OS 10.6.8
That isn't how Adobe works. You are allowed two simultaneous installations, and can uninstall either at any time, to allow you to re-install on a new computer or new operating system. I would get the DVDs instead of the download, but maybe that is just me...
I totally agree about having the DVD or whatever disc, as opposed to the download. I want something I can hold in my hand in case everything goes down. I lost three years of stuff on an external drive on Time Machine a couple of years ago... fortunately nothing critical and most backed up another way. Disc in hand is better for me too. carolyn
Carolyn Happy Holiday Season to You. I suggest almost immediately upon receipt to make a Backup copy of the disk. I usually make two -- one for in Home and one for Off Site (in Bank Lock Box).
HI Vernon - I would definitely do that, but think I'll just get Adobe?to send me the disk. ?Check out this reply to my identical thread on the Retouching forum (where I double posted after realizing that forum was more appropriate for my question). http://forums.dpzen.com/forums/post/50468627 carolyn

c.hammett wrote: I totally agree about having the DVD or whatever disc, as opposed to the download. I want something I can hold in my hand in case everything goes down. I lost three years of stuff on an external drive on Time Machine a couple of years ago... fortunately nothing critical and most backed up another way. Disc in hand is better for me too. carolyn
I agree too. DVDs make great coffee coasters next to my MacAir. They really protect the finish of my desk.

Since I'm getting to the party late, I will try to do this right after Christmas. I want to confirm that I can download then and actually install it when I upgrade to M/Lion in January when I have more time. Do you have any info regarding that possiblilty ?? I hate to install it on OS 10.6.8Thanks a bunch for your help ! carolyn
Sorry I can't help you here as I only know how it works on a PC.

Adobe's new policy is that you can not skip a generation, starting Jan 1, 2012. If you have PS CS5 you can upgrade to PS CS6 any time before PS CS7 is officially released. If you have PS CS4, the upgrade to PS CS6 needs to be done before jan1, 2013. -- Steve Bingham www.dustylens.com www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham wrote: Adobe's new policy is that you can not skip a generation, starting Jan 1, 2012. If you have PS CS5 you can upgrade to PS CS6 any time before PS CS7 is officially released. If you have PS CS4, the upgrade to PS CS6 needs to be done before jan1, 2013. -- Steve Bingham www.dustylens.com www.ghost-town-photography.com
Thanks Steve. So according to your info, if you have CS5 you can wait to upgrade, but can't skip CS6 if you want to upgrade to CS7 later. It sounds logical, but they have obviously changed their policy. Is there an Adobe link that clarifies this ? Also I wonder if the upgrade price will stay the same if you wait ? A friend sent this link from Adobe, which clearly shows that CS5 owners can wait to upgrade, but ?says nothing about not being able to skip a generation. http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/buying-guide-upgrades.htm Thanks for your info.... carolyn

Add new comment

Image
More information
  • Files must be less than 2 MB.
  • Allowed file types: png gif jpg jpeg.
Attachment
More information
  • Files must be less than 2 MB.
  • Allowed file types: zip rar.