Epson r2400 and a couple of questions

Forums: 
Hello I just bought a used Epson R2400 in great condition. I will be using it more or less only for black and white prints and i was wondering if buying non epson ink would be so bad for print quality? i currently have ordered this http://viewitem.eim.ebay.dk/27x-Kompatible-fr-Epson-Stylus-Photo-R2400-R-2400/170625959868/item Since it seems like such a good deal that i through that i would have to at least try it. I am new to finearts prints and i am guessing that there quiet a few things i should get familar with before starting printing. So what i am asking beside if ordering cheaper non OEM ink for black and white prints is acceptable, is what things i really just HAVE to know before starting to print? Besides my main to questions i would love to know how people solve problems such as cutting white empty paper of the prints, this will be very important to me since i do allot of 1x1 aspect ratio. Thanks for your time and help Simon

simon2901 wrote: Hello I just bought a used Epson R2400 in great condition. I will be using it more or less only for black and white prints and i was wondering if buying non epson ink would be so bad for print quality? i currently have ordered this http://viewitem.eim.ebay.dk/27x-Kompatible-fr-Epson-Stylus-Photo-R2400-R-2400/170625959868/item Since it seems like such a good deal that i through that i would have to at least try it.I
It may (or may not) be a good deal. You may want to value "good quality" to be slightly more important.
I am new to finearts prints and i am guessing that there quiet a few things i should get familar with before starting printing. So what i am asking beside if ordering cheaper non OEM ink for black and white prints is acceptable, is what things i really just HAVE to know before starting to print? Besides my main to questions i would love to know how people solve problems such as cutting white empty paper of the prints, this will be very important to me since i do allot of 1x1 aspect ratio. Thanks for your time and help Simon
Simon, I have basically one comment since I have not used your Printer Model. I have been using non OEM inks for a few years in 4 different Epson Printers. The MOST important thing is to select good quality inks and also from a qualified ink supplier. There are many sources but all are not suppliers of good quality inks. No affiliation with but I get all my Inks form Inkjetcarts and have been very pleased with their quality and service.

Thanks for the reply. I now have canceled the ebay order and ordered ( need someone that send to Denmark) from and uk seller which was quiet a bit more expensive but still much much better price than epson. I ordered from: http://www.internet-ink.co.uk/orderconfirmed

simon2901 wrote: I will be using it more or less only for black and white prints and i was wondering if buying non epson ink would be so bad for print quality?
Getting good (neutral) B&W prints from an inkjet printer is more difficult than getting good colour prints because it's much easier to detect small colour casts in B&W than in colour. With any third-party ink set the grey balance may be different from that of the OEM ink so colour casts are common. If you do find there is a colour cast you can tackle it in two ways with the R2400. If the colour cast is detectable in colour prints as well as B&W then you will probably need a custom profile. A good custom profile will normally cure this problem for a good quality third-party ink. It should also allow you to make acceptable B&W prints when printing in colour mode. If the colour rendering is acceptable but the B&W is a bit "off" you may be able to correct it using the Advanced Black and White (ABW) mode on the R2400. ABW is capable of giving better B&W prints and it gives you the option to adjust the toning of the print. In this way you may find that you can correct any inherent colour cast. I suggest that to see how good the B&W response is, you first print a known test image. You will find some good advice, and a nice test image, at Northlight Images Good luck.

I have both Epson r2400 and a Epson photo1400. Have been using Internet-ink.co.uk for dye ink supplies for the 1400 printer giving excellent results. When I enquired last year about what kind of pigment ink was in their ink tanks for the R2400, I was told that it was only dye ink being supplied in those particular ink tanks. I bought supplies instead from Inkjetfly, they do worldwide shipping. Things may have changed by now with Internet-ink. co.uk so might be worthwhile confirming with them that you are getting pigment ink for your R2400, especially if you are looking for long lasting prints. Good luck.

johnpeeay wrote: I have both Epson r2400 and a Epson photo1400. Have been using Internet-ink.co.uk for dye ink supplies for the 1400 printer giving excellent results. When I enquired last year about what kind of pigment ink was in their ink tanks for the R2400, I was told that it was only dye ink being supplied in those particular ink tanks. I bought supplies instead from Inkjetfly, they do worldwide shipping. Things may have changed by now with Internet-ink. co.uk so might be worthwhile confirming with them that you are getting pigment ink for your R2400, especially if you are looking for long lasting prints. Good luck.
I am not sure i understand why you avoided internet-ink co.uk? was the ink bad or the type of ink not the one you wanted? I hope it will be fine, i will follow some of the good suggestions given in comments above. Thanks for your responses i really wanna get into this and not be ignorant about printing anymore.

simon2901 wrote:
johnpeeay wrote: I have both Epson r2400 and a Epson photo1400. Have been using Internet-ink.co.uk for dye ink supplies for the 1400 printer giving excellent results. When I enquired last year about what kind of pigment ink was in their ink tanks for the R2400, I was told that it was only dye ink being supplied in those particular ink tanks. I bought supplies instead from Inkjetfly, they do worldwide shipping. Things may have changed by now with Internet-ink. co.uk so might be worthwhile confirming with them that you are getting pigment ink for your R2400, especially if you are looking for long lasting prints. Good luck.
I am not sure i understand why you avoided internet-ink co.uk? was the ink bad or the type of ink not the one you wanted? I hope it will be fine, i will follow some of the good suggestions given in comments above. Thanks for your responses i really wanna get into this and not be ignorant about printing anymore.
oh now i see, you where getting pigment ink, instead of dye ink, i will be reading about the difference, and contacting the webside asking about it. Any other sites that ship to Europe ( denmark) With cheap good ink? Thanks for your help

The Epson R2400 is a printer designed to use pigment ink, this type of ink will give longer lasting prints as a rule. Internet-ink were not able to supply pigment ink in their cartridges so that is why instead, I bought from Inkjetfly.com.

johnpeeay wrote: The Epson R2400 is a printer designed to use pigment ink, this type of ink will give longer lasting prints as a rule. Internet-ink were not able to supply pigment ink in their cartridges so that is why instead, I bought from Inkjetfly.com.
Thanks for the info i emailed them and asked what kind of ink it where and here is the answer: Dear Mr Birk Thank you for your email. The cartridges that you have ordered are dye based inks, as are all the compatible cartridges we sell. The only cartridges that are pigment based are the epson original cartridges. When replying, please include all previous correspondence. Internet-Ink.co.uk Your Personal Customer Support Advisor Michelle Regards, so that seems good.

That's what I thought. Their dye ink will work ok, but you will need to create profiles for the paper you are using and the prints will fade much sooner than if they had been printed using pigment type ink. Lots of good info in this forum on good third party pigment inks and on how to create profiles. Good luck.

johnpeeay wrote: That's what I thought. Their dye ink will work ok, but you will need to create profiles for the paper you are using and the prints will fade much sooner than if they had been printed using pigment type ink. Lots of good info in this forum on good third party pigment inks and on how to create profiles. Good luck.
Okaj if anyone knows a good site, that delivers to euorpe, to get pigment ink from that dont have the ultra high costs of epson ( i am a student, and even through i am beginning to sell fine art prints i cant afford to go the epson only way right now) then i would be very happy Also regarding print profiles, i had planned on using lightroom for printing, and i have allot of different paper, most of it very high quality, from canon, epson and ilford, where do i go to get the profiles? and the profile for the ink would that be something i had to fine tune myself or how do one go by with that? Thanks!

Hi there, try inkjetcarts.com They have great refillable cartridges and ink for your R2400. I use their stuff and have a R2400. For me it works. €118.55 to your door for 9 refills of all cartridges, with the autoreset cartidges. Order from their site, don't think they are on Ebay. Look for starterskit R2400 Ciao, Han

Simon, I'm based in London with an r2400 and I've been using the branded cartridges. From the thread I presume we 'need' pigment. Have you found the answe yet? Tony

I answered but you asked Simon so i deleted. sorry, Han

Add new comment

Image
More information
  • Files must be less than 2 MB.
  • Allowed file types: png gif jpg jpeg.
Attachment
More information
  • Files must be less than 2 MB.
  • Allowed file types: zip rar.